The Benefits of Team Building Activities
At Fitsco, we pride ourselves on the togetherness of our team. This evening, we will be moving away from threaded inserts and heading to the bowling alley to become the 2019 Fitsco Ten-Pin Bowling Champion. Our friendly workforce has moved away from competitive work environments in their previous roles to us where collaboration and co-operation between us is viewed as the key to success.
Whilst some people see team building activities as a nice break for us from the world of threaded inserts, they do have a purpose: to develop the skills, togetherness and friendliness of the staff. By organising team building activities, the team can enjoy a range of benefits to the workforce. Here we look at why Fitsco, a threaded inserts manufacturer and distributor, organises regular, full-team social activities:
- Improving productivity. By encouraging employees to learn to work together more effectively and reduce duplication of effort, employees work more efficiently.
- Increasing motivation. When a team participate in team building activities, it helps them feel positive about themselves and their confidence, creates momentum and increases confidence in themselves and their colleagues, because of the organisation willing to invest in them.
- Increased collaboration. By creating activities that people enjoy and can experience as a group, employees will build relationships and develop networks of contacts outside of their day-to-day roles which can help them in future.
- Encourage creativity. The key to a successful business, with new and fresh ideas is to employ people with differing perspectives and expertise. Activities, like our ten-pin bowling evening tonight, gives the team the opportunity to use their imagination, think of new ideas and bounce thoughts from each other.
- Reinforcement. During team building activities, praise can be heaped on certain employees by pointing out the work certain staff are completing and what they have done to achieve this praise. Incorporating recognition can build a strong message to everyone in attendance about company values.
- Improving communication. We think that the biggest advantage of a team-building is the improved communication between employees. Activities like our bowling evening, help employees get to know each other, create a better understanding across departments and break down any walls of mistrust that may be in place.
Team building activities are a powerful and excellent method of developing togetherness and trust, improving motivation and helping strengths. They do however, require a purpose and must be planned to have an impact on the company and improving cross-team working relationships.
Blog by Dan - 26th July 2019